Sunday, August 30, 2020

An Origin

Greeting people of Earth! Always on the lookout for new podcasts to listen to at work and the gym and such, I recently discovered some comic book related ones (my favorite previous pods include The Adam Carolla podcast, How did this get Made, You Must Remember This, and Gilbert's Amazing Colossal Podcast) most notably Back to the Bins and The Quarter Bin podcast with Professor Allan. On these shows the knowledgeable and often very funny hosts discuss comics I grew up with (mostly 70's and 80's stuff). In the early 2000's I sold half my collection on Ebay (many bought by a college library back east), but I still held on to several long boxes.

When I was around 7 it all started when my folks brought me a pile of old comics they got at a swap meet, and at that point it was game on. My collection, some bought off the rack new comics, but mostly garnered second hand at swap meets, yard sales, and local shops, grew (mostly Marvels) exponentially until around 1994 or so when the cover prices were getting redick. Though I got my hands on the occasional newish comic (almost never near full price) most of my new comics knowledge came from the trades, and from bi-weekly browsing sessions at Hi Di Ho comics in Santa Monica. I'd smoke a joint in the car or on the beach then head in to read until I got worried I'd get dirty looks. Though that was unlikely. Hi Di Ho, a world famous shop, was started years before by a guy who was on my dad's local pub dart team.



Those boxes were mostly a burden, especially the other year when I moved from Southern California to The northwest. Still, every few years I crack off a top and take a brief peek at my old faves. Recently those comic book podcasts have inspired me to spend some weekend afternoon time with a bloody mary or vodka tonic and those old comics. So what the heck, why not write about them? I had a tabletop gaming blog some years ago, so I'm not a total noob. Or am I?

As an adult I never had any serious comic book fan friends. Oh, some had a little knowledge, but I tended to be alone in my love. I didn't go to conventions or otherwise hang out with comic nuts, so my love of comics was mostly a solo affair. That I think is a main reason I want to do this blog. I love to talk comics. I just never get to. Well, here is my chance.

Anyway, for this blog I plan to just put a long box on the couch and pull out a somewhat random comic to discuss. Marvel, DC, Flash in the Pan company, or whatever. I hope you can read along but if not, hey, I'm reading it for you.

I hope to read your comments.

Cheers

Kevin Mac

No comments:

Post a Comment